top of page
History of the Hall
The present Hall dates back to the early 1700’s where it is thought it was built on the site of a previous dwelling. The stone from which the Home is built was acquired from the ruins of Strathbrock castle, which is recorded to have been a residence in 1524 but subsequently fell into ruin.

The home was built by a local minister called George Barclay, who owned the estate of Loaninghill. He decided to rebuild the Hall near the Brox burn or Badgers water. The building was completed as a two storey house in 1707.
The Barclays retained ownership of the Hall for nearly a century. In 1798 the estate was purchased for £5250 by a William Inglis, a rich and successful lawyer who unfortunately was declared bankrupt during the financial crisis of 1928 and the Hall was sequestrated to satisfy his creditors.

In 1830 the Hall was purchased by the Threipland family for the sum of £7000. During the 1800s the hall changed hands several times until being recorded as unoccupied, between 1868 and 1872. It was sold in 1890 to Scottish oils Ltd for £3594 giving some indication of the neglect that had taken place over the previous 30 years.

The hall was then leased to the Edinburgh parish council as an extension to the mental wards of Craiglockhart poorhouse. In 1907 the Hall’s lease was taken over by the Edinburgh Lunacy Board to cater for the Patients from Bangour Village hospital who needed quieter surroundings. During the first world war soldiers returning from the front line were treated at Middleton Hall.

In 1919 Various other oil companies in the Scottish shale oil industry merged with Anglo Persian to form Scottish Oils Ltd. In 1921 the technical and administrative headquarters for Scottish Oils were set up in the Hall and the surrounding estate had houses built for staff and employees.

In 1939 the decision was made to transfer the staff from the Motherwell office to Middleton Hall. The Hall was extended at ground level and a new storey was added to the main house. However, the staff in Glasgow refused to move and their office remain in Bothwell Street in Glasgow.

In 1962 the Scottish Shale industry wound up and the Hall was leased to Motherwell Bridge Thermal who leased offices to other companies.
The hall was listed category C (S) in 1975.

In 1987 the hall became a care home and remains a care home today.
61007447-1058554567682045-1498510636420694016-o - Copy.jpg
images (7).jpg
download (2).jpg
download (9).jpg
bottom of page